HISTORY OF MOHAWK VILLAGE
By N. N. Hill, Jr.
From Coshocton History 1881
Mohawk Village is scarcely known by that name. It is universally called Jericho. The story gores that a noted Irish character living in this vicinity became greatly displeased at the manner, which the school was conducted, and meeting one of the Scotch school directors one day, berated him soundly about it. The wrath of the Scotchman, under the personal abuse heaped upon him, gradually rose to the point of ebullition, when it could contain itself no longer, and was vented upon the wordy offender, who presented a sorry spectacle for days afterward. The Irishman wrote an account of his wrongs, and had it read in a paper before the local literary society. In it he described how, in going down from Jerusalem into Jericho, he fell among thieves and robbers, so please were the auditors with the production that this village was forthwith dubbed Jericho, and the name has clung to it ever since.
From 1845 to 1850, or thereabouts, a country post office existed in the southeastern part of the township, under the name of Rural V Ale. The postmasters were John Elder, John Taylor, and Mr. Lindersmith and John Williams, successively.
The Mohawk Village Church, located about a mile east of the village (near the cemetery), was organized in the fall of 1840, at the Whittaker Schoolhouse, by Rev, Harvey D. Camp. In the preceding year a company from Ireland had settled in the Mohawk Valley, until that time a comparative wilderness. They were followed the next year by other families of the same connection. The first company embraced James Moore, deceased (father of Robert Moore), James Moore Jr., John Moore and William Moore. Those coming the next year were William and James Given, William and James Thompson, and William Moore. And these families, with Thomas Tredaway and wife, composed of the society at its organization. In 1847, there was an addition to the settlement, including, besides, others, John Moore, and family, and the well known James and Robert of the day. For about a year from the organization, the meetings were held in the Whittaker Schoolhouse; then a schoolhouse was built in the settlement and meetings held in that. In 1859, the church was built-worth some &1,200. Within a few years it has been repaired, and very much improved as to its interior. It stands near a refreshing spring of water, and is convenient and attractive in all its appointment and arrangements. The minister first in charge was Rev. Mr. Camp. Rev. Leonard Parker succeeded him, and Rev. Henry Whittemore succeeded Parker. Under his ministry, quite a noticeable number were added to the society. Rev., Homer j. Clark followed Whittemore. Then came Austin Coleman, during whose ministry the church building was erected. Just prior to building the
Methodist Episcopal Church, he held a protracted meeting in the Baptist Church, which had been built the year before. During this revival there was a great many valuable accessions. The history of the society has been marked by great prosperity. The number of members at this time is about 120. Rev. Philip Kelser is the pastor in charge.
Mr. Ault also had a little watermill on Winding Fork, with one run of buhrs, which he operated until his dam was swept away in a freshet. It was not rebuilt. Frederick Shrake at the same time, about 1822, started a mill a little further up stream. It had two run of stone, and between it and Ault’s mill their laws a lively competition. Robert Elder, as early as 1820, had a little corn cracker in operation, which lasted, however, only a short time. A little sawing and wool carding was carried on at the same time. John Pritchard, about 1830, put up a saw mill on Mohawk Run, which was run for a number of years. Samuel Whitmore built the present Gault Mill, in 1836 or earlier.
Compiled by D. Snyder 31 March 2006. For more pictures of the area, please visit the gallery
Walhonding Valley Historical Society